Because I wanted to use plain white fabric for my labels, and I didn't like how you saw a white"er" 1/4inch frame around it when you tuck under the edges to then blind stitch it down. Therefore, I modified the tute by adding a complementary border to the label piece - I just cut 1" strips and sewed them on like a log cabin block- ironing the seams away from the white fabric.
I then cut a piece of the border fabric the same size as my front piece and sewed them right sides together . A little snip into the backing fabric allowed me to turn the "block" right sides out, a little pressing and poking out the corners, et voila!
Noew to get them onto the quilts! (And yes, you read that right 2005-2010... my handmade smapler took 5 years to complete, I think the time taken is definitely worthy of a label in its own right!)